You know, I grew up in Dallas, Texas. I had relatively mild exposure to electronic music as a child, I was more concerned with not getting the shit beat out of me in school. When not crying alone in my room, I remember listening to the radio on Saturday nights and being obsessed with what I found to be the relatively erie and haunting sounds played out in da clubz.
At the age of 19, I found a glorious group of fizzled out Club Kids in Dallas, and got pretty hooked on Deee-Lite and other light-hearted party genre acts such as S’Express and Opus III – basically I came out of the closet. I eventually moved to San Diego, and after a relative dearth of any music or community I find acceptable in a nightlife situation, I decided to take parties into my own hands and became a DJ.
I have since lived and thrown parties in San Diego, Copenhagen, Provincetown, and now San Francisco. My tastes have ebbed and flowed through many of the sub-genres contained in House, Disco, and Techno, and overall my fascination is making people feel emotions through music on the dance floor. I don’t use my facial expressions to communicate emotions anymore, I just play music and dance.
Where are you based?: San Francisco
Why do you play music?
Because it is the only thing that makes sense.
What do you see as your role in the music world going into the future?
Building and contributing to a music-based community for everyone that wants to be a part of it. I create and contribute to spaces where you can be the person or persona you have always wanted to be.
Favorite label or artist from the past year?
Pretty hot on that Daniel Avery shit. Jason Kendig has a lot of tricks up his sleeve too, keep an eye on that one.
What are you looking forward to most this year?
Getting down to some music production
Tell me two secrets…
1. People that talk shit about everyone else also talk shit about you.
2. It’s never personal, people just project what they feel inside onto other people.
1. Drvg Cvltvre – Bring Me Your Labradoodle
2. Terry Whyte – Rhino Romance (Leticia Lemach remix)
3. Mire Pajic – Forever (Danny Benedettini remix)
4. The Japanese Popstars – Heavy Hitter
5. Anthony Rother – Catharsis
6. Agoria – Speechless feat. Carl Craig & La Scalars (Gesaffelstein Remix)
7. Gherkin Jerks – Din Sync (Get Up & Do Your Thing)
8. Andre Winter – Trauma
9. Odysseus – Drug Fool
10. Danny Daze – I See You There
11. Terry Whyte – Black Sky