Known for the high energy dance experience, Peter D. Struve was one of the early nightclub DJs on the San Francisco Disco scene. Pete trained in 1973 with Chico Starr and Steve Newman at California’s first licensed dance nightclub, the Rendezvous. Six months later in early 1974 Peter was invited to join the new family of the SF Endup.
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/104762418″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
In his early DJ years with Mike Webb and Steve Newman, Pete helped set in motion a dance phenomenon that continues 40 years later. To this day the SF Endup is alive in 2013 with the sounds of dance.
Starting on QRK broadcast turntables; the night was about the music. Peter’s talent was non-stop high-energy dance from 9pm until 2am. While at the Endup, he worked with Randy Johnson in the famed Jockey Short Dance Contest as told in the ‘Tales of the City’, written by American author Armistead Maupin.
A few years later Peter was involved with the development of the historic North Beach nightclub, Dance Your Ass Off. While at DYAO, Pete was featured in Rolling Stone and Billboard Magazines.
In 1979 Peter did the historic Disconet remix of Viola Wills, “If You Could Read My Mind.” Peter teamed with Steve Newman creating the iconic mix of Chic, “Le Freak” that played on San Francisco’s K101 radio and in clubs from Los Angeles to Seattle.
In 1982 Peter moved home to Southern California and continued to DJ as he became a district manager for McCune Sound. Peter’s DJ retirement party was on May 29th, 2002. The 4 hour event was mixed-down to a single CD called Discology 101.
Today Peter remixes music and creates podcast mixes for fun. He is retired living in Hollywood CA with his partner of 10 years.
1. 32 Beat Drum Intro (PM)
2. Moment Of Truth – You Got Me Humming (M&M Remix)
3. Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway – Where Is The Love (Womack ReWork)
4. Busta Jones – Dancing All Over The World
5. Thelma Houston – Saturday Night Sunday Morning
6. Eumir Deodato – Keep It In The Family (SyntheTigers Full Circle Edit)
7. Sylvester – Someone Like You (Jski Edit)
8. Tina Turner – Better Be Good to Me (PM)
9. Chic – I Want Your Love (Dimitri From Paris Remix)
11. Tata Vega – Full Speed Ahead (12″ Version)