Philadelphia has always been a hotbed of soul, funk and disco artists. Some of the most notables being The Trammps, Gamble & Huff and McFadden & Whitehead. DJ Apt One is yet another artist from Philly who will soon be ranked up there with the more recognizable names.
DJ Apt One first came to our attention as a contributor to one of the more popular music blogs Dollar Bin Jams. We had the luxury of hosting him in Seattle at JACK at Seattle Eagle this past summer. We then coaxed him into making an exclusive mix for Bottom Forty which you can check out right here!
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/182631250″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
I’m DJ Apt One. Sometimes I record as Michael The Lion. Sometimes as RCMP. I love disco and funk and house – anything with a bit of soul. I also love old records. I tour all over, holler at me.
Where are you based?:
I live in Philadelphia, but I’m #based wherever I go.
1) Why do you play music?
If I didn’t I’d go insane. I don’t do it by choice, rather I do it by necessity.
2) What do you see as your role in the music world going into the future?
I’ve been doing music for a living since 2007. Making music to pay the bills is a real deal with the devil. Recently I’ve delved into some other things so that I can get back to making music in the most honest way possible. In the future I hope to be as true to my musical loves and instincts as possible.
3) Favorite label or artist from the past year?
My favorite label will always be the one I run, Young Robots. But recently I’ve been making stuff with Soul Clap and Razor-n-Tape and I have really liked what those guys do as labels. They just love the hell out of the music they work with and it shows.
As far as artists, I’d have to say that my former young bol (that’s Philly slang, look it up) DJ Bruce aka Nitewax aka NY Strip has been making great stuff. He has a great ability to produce music that sounds exactly like what he wants to play. That’s such a hard thing to do. Also shoutouts to my girl Anna Lunoe and my boys Venice Beach – those guys have really had wonderful output this past year.
4) What are you looking forward to most this year?
I’m very excited about my new Michael The Lion project. I can’t wait to get out on the road with that project and have some great times with some great people.
5) How do you feel about cilantro? Love or Hate?
Love, love, love.
1. Lexy & Janes – Hyp Ist Not
2. Para One – You Too
3. Wool – The Good In You (Heavyfeet Remix)
4. Disclosure – Voices (Le Youth Remix)
5. NSFW – Coconut
6. Proper Heat – Take Control
7. Will Eastman – Feelin’ (Ara & Kenny Summit Remix)
8. Knee Deep & DJ Spen f/ Biblical Jones – Gotta Have House (Knee Deep Anthem Mix)
9. Nick Curly – Underground (Dennis Ferrer Remix)
10. George Fitzgerald – I Can Tell (By The Way You Move) (Paul Woolford Remix)
11. Sterling Void – Don’t Wanna Go
12. Marshall Jefferson – Move Your Body
Apt One’s alter ego Michael The Lion recently put out a stellar production on the Soul Clap imprint called Funk Train which you can pick up over at Juno.