Wes Baggaley was found abandoned in a field somewhere in the north of England in the mid 70’s and raised on a diet of lipstick and eye shadow by a pack of transvestite wolves. At the age of 12 the feral tranny Wes was captured by a group of leather clad homosexuals and forced to listen to nothing but Hi-Nrg and disco for 4 years. When he finally escaped at the age of 16, he was picked up whilst hitch-hiking by a group of bug-eyed ravers and taken to the Hacienda. That evening the DJ collapsed from a poppers overdose and Wes jumped over the DJ booth and played the best set the clubbers at the Hacienda had ever heard in their lives. Rumour has it, Wes invented acid house in the late 80’s trying to communicate by emulating the sound of the wolves howls and the disco and hi-nrg music as these are the only noises he had ever heard. Wes is still unable to speak proper English so instead he communicates through the medium of acid house and techno at various sleazy, poppers fuelled parties around the U.K. such as Hotwired, Recon, Little Gay Brother and Tranarchy.
Where are you based? London, UK
1) Why do you play music?
Because I love it!
2) What do you see as your role in the music world going into the future?
Mostly playing other people’s records in dark, sweaty places. I do plan to get more into production but I really enjoy DJing. I am actually going to be on a record but that’s top secret for now.
3) Favorite label or artist from the past year?
Just one? That’s really hard! I still like L.I.E.S. I think there was a bit of a backlash against it because they released loads of stuff really quickly last year but it’s still a great label. Some of the staff in a certain London record shop virtually laughed at me recently after I asked for a L.I.E.S release because apparently it’s not cool anymore! Whatever bitches! I think Hessle Audio and Hemlock are really cool. Trilogy Tapes was another good one. Oh, I forgot to mention Clone. I love the Jack for Daze series. Don’t Be Afraid is another one to watch. There has been some really good techno out in the last year from well established artists. Robert Hood and Luke Slater (as Planetary Assault Systems and L.B. Dub Corp) have been on a roll. There are a few of their tracks/remixes on this mix. DJ Sotofett has also done some great stuff.
4) What are you looking forward to most this year?
More DJ gigs hopefully. I’m looking forward to Hotwired again. It’s the UK’s biggest fetish party and it only happens once a year. I’ve played at the last two years and the atmosphere is great plus I get to play really dark, nasty music which I love. I also get to perve at what the people there are up to which is cool (sometimes haha). I’m also looking forward to our party which myself and my friends Jon Delano and Luscious Flajore (Hotwired residents) are organising somewhere in East London which is going to just be a club for people who like music rather than somewhere the gay magazines say it’s cool to be seen or to pick up guys/girls (obviously you can do that if you want but the main focus is the music).
5) How has being a skank drag supermodel affected your DJ career?
Being an international transvestite supermodel and renowned superstar DJ is working out fabulously for me thank you hahaha! Seriously though, I just recently got paid to go to Madrid to play records dressed as a witch troll and a radioactive pig in a dress which was great fun! I’m more about the music but basically I’ll do anything for money and dressing up is fun!
1. Snow Ghosts – Secret Garden (Matthew Herbert Remix)
2. Shackleton – Silver Keys
3. Wesley Matsell – Dowlais Wheelie Crew
4. African Shakedown – Bayaya (Axel Bowman Re-rub)
5. General Ludd – Woo Ha
6. Rivet – Bear Bile Pt.1
7. Pev & Kowton – Vapours (Pangaea Remix)
8. Boddika & Joy Orbison – In Here
9. Four Tet & Terror Danjah – Killer
10. Stenny – Boulders
11. Demdike Stare – Null Results
12. Pinch & Mumdance – Turbo Mitzi
13. Special Request – Cold Blooded
14. Joe – Maximum Busy Muscle
15. Untold – Doubles
16. Joe Farr & J. Tijn – Mustard Sucker
17. 0 (Phase) – Dirtro II (Robert Hood New Device Remix)
18. James Ruskin – Slit
19. Ctrls – Shift
20. Alien Rain – Alienated 4a
21. Planetary Assault Systems – Future Modular
22. Delta Funktionen – Petrol
23. Objekt – Balloons
24. Pol Style, Vin Sol, Matrixxman – Power Top
25. Kobosil – Asle
26. Dj Rush – Motherfucking Bass
27. L-VIS 1990 – SDS5000
28. Gingy & Bordello – All Day (Robert Hood Remix)
29. Lionrock – Packet of Peace (Jeff Mills Deep House Mix)
30. Marcel Fengler – Jaz (The Traveller Remix)
31. Erika – Early Warning Starfield (Donato Dozzy Spiral Remix)
32. A Made Up Sound – After Hours
33. Pearson Sound – Raindrops Pt.1